In Design: Route 10 (Colonial Trail East) and Route 617 Intersection Improvements
Cost and schedule ►
Public outreach ►
Virtual Information & Comment Period
Virtual Information Page
Between October 28 to November 6, 2020, VDOT invited the public to learn about the project’s design in a safe manner during Virginia’s State of Emergency for the COVID-19 pandemic and encouraged participation virtually.
Requests to hold a public hearing were accepted via a written request to Mr. Kenneth McKinna, Virginia Department of Transportation, 7511 Burbage Drive, Suffolk, VA 23435 prior to November 11, 2020.
View the newspaper ad for public comment opportunity and notice of willingness here.
About the Project
The project is located in Surry County at the intersection of Route 10 (Colonial Trail East) with Route 617, known as Bacons Castle Trail to the north and White Marsh Road to the south.
Route 10 (Colonial Trail East) is a rural minor arterial roadway with a current average daily traffic (ADT) of 5,800 vehicles. The ADT is projected to be 9,400 vehicles per day in design year 2045. The posted speed limit is 45 MPH for this portion of Route 10 (Colonial Trail East).
Route 617 (Bacons Castle Trail) is a rural major collector roadway with a current ADT of 1,200 vehicles and the projected ADT is 1,600 vehicles per day. Route 617 (White Marsh Road) is a rural minor collector with a current ADT of 120 vehicles and the projected ADT is 160 vehicles per day.
The purpose of the project is to improve safety and create improved operational conditions by building left turn lanes on Route 10 (Colonial Trail East) and a right turn lane on Route 617 (Bacons Castle Trail). Improvements will also increase sight distance at the intersection for crossing traffic.
During construction, through traffic in both directions will be maintained. Access to all properties will be maintained during construction.
Intersection improvements will increase safety and create improved operational conditions at the intersection, and include the following:
- creation of new left turn lanes on Route 10 (Colonial Trail East), turning onto Route 617
- new right turn lane on Route 617 (Bacons Castle Trail) to turn onto Route 10
- land clearing to increase sight distance at the intersection for crossing traffic
- Public input & comment period on preliminary design was completed in fall 2020.
- Acquiring the necessary right of way and utility easements is underway and scheduled to be completed by late 2022.
- Relocating utilities prior to construction is scheduled to begin late 2022.
- Construction is scheduled to begin early 2024.