Virginia Highway Safety Improvement Program (VHSIP)
About the VHSIP Program
The Virginia Highway Safety Improvement Program (VHSIP) is guided by our Strategic Highway Safety Plan and receives federal and state safety funding to implement safety improvements across the roadway network in Virginia. The VHSIP requires a data-driven, strategic approach to improving highway safety on all public roads that focuses on safety performance. VDOT advances highway safety improvement projects that have the greatest potential to reduce the State's roadway fatalities and serious injuries. This page is dedicated to VHSIP project identification and delivery and contains information on current safety initiatives, tools, and resources.
- Welcome to the new webpage! This webpage will continue to be updated so please check back for new and updated content.
- VHSIP Webinar - Recordings of VHSIP webinars are available on VDOT's YouTube Page.
- SMART Portal is now open for Localities to submit their VHSIP system applications.
VHSIP offers email notifications. Sign up to be notified of revised guidance, program updates, training opportunities, and more.
- VHSIP Manual
- Systemic Application (Excel)
- Systemic Application (Excel) - Pre-selected Example
- Systemic Application (Excel) - Other Example
- VDOT State Preferred CMF List
- CMF Calculator
- Crash Costs
- Webinars/How-To Videos
- RSA Documentation
- Safety Circuit Rider
- Annual Report
- VDOT Crash Analysis Tool (Power BI)
- Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT)
- Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Virginia Railway-Highway 2020 Annual Report
- Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) – Legislation and Guidance
- Highway Safety Improvement Program Eligibility Guidance
- Highway Safety Improvement Program Special Rules Guidance
- Bipartisan Infrastructure Law - Fact Sheets
- The Systemic Approach to Safety - Safety
- Proven Safety Countermeasures | Federal Highway Administration - Safety
Local Systemic Initiatives
This section provides informational materials and implementation criteria for each of the local systemic safety initiatives that are part of Virginia's Highway Safety Investment Strategy.
VDOT Systemic Initiatives
This section provides informational materials and implementation criteria for each of the VDOT systemic safety initiatives that are part of Virginia's Highway Safety Investment Strategy.
Implementation Criteria for VDOT Phase I Systemic Initiatives
Implementation Criteria for VDOT Phase II Systemic Initiatives
VHSIP Rail Program
This section provides informational materials and implementation criteria for each of the rail program initiatives that are part of Virginia's Highway Safety Investment Strategy.
Submit questions regarding VDOT's HSIP to HSIProgram@vdot.virginia.gov.
HSIP staff is available to discuss safety analysis and planning, roadway safety assessments, and project proposals.
Tracy Turpin, P.E.
VHSIP Project Delivery Program Manager
Deepak Koirala, P.E. PTOE PMP
VHSIP Project Delivery Team Lead
VHSIP External Sharepoint Coordinator
H-RGC Program Engineer
Mark Cole, P.E.
Assistant Division Administrator - Safety