Mission, Shared Values and Code of Ethics
- Our mission is to plan, deliver, operate and maintain a transportation system that is safe, enables easy movement of people and goods, enhances the economy and improves our quality of life.
Shared Values in Public Service
- Be responsive to customer needs, consider what the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) does in terms of how it benefits our customers, and treat customers with respect, courtesy and fairness.
- Commit to safety and continuous improvement in everything we do, learning from mistakes and successes alike.
- Trust, respect, support and encourage each other.
- Respect and protect the public investment.
- Make decisions based on facts and sound judgment and accept accountability for our actions.
- Strengthen our expertise in using information, tools, and technology to achieve high performance and stay on the cutting edge.
- Think ahead, acting and planning creatively for today and tomorrow.
Code of Ethics
As an employee of the Commonwealth of Virginia and its Department of Transportation, I will:
- Commit to be a trusted steward of public resources
- Act with integrity in all relationships and actions in the work environment
- Abide by Virginia’s Standards of Conduct for employees
- Not engage in conflicts of interest between my private interest and my professional role
- Not use public resources for personal gain
- Not accept or give gifts in violation of the State and Local Government Conflict of Interests Act
- Not knowingly make a false or fraudulent statement
- Not knowingly conduct or condone any illegal or improper activity
Page last modified: April 19, 2023