Under Construction: Route 460 S Curve Realignment - Bedford County
Cost and schedule ►
Traffic alerts ►
Potential impacts during construction may include:
- Speed limit will be reduced to 45 mph throughout the life of the project.
Phase I (18 months)
- Alternating single long-term lane closures on eastbound and westbound Route 460
- No left turns from Route 726 (Wilkerson Mill Road) onto westbound Route 460. Drivers can use Route 691 (Quarterwood Road) as an alternative route to access westbound Route 460 or can turn make a U-Turn from eastbound Route 460. (This will impact primarily Misty Ridge Lane residents).
Phase II (6 months)
- Route 460 traffic reduced to one lane in each direction and shifted into the westbound lanes.
- No access from Route 726 (Wilkerson Mill Road) onto eastbound or westbound Route 460. Drivers can use Quarterwood Road to access Route 460.
Phase III (6 months or less)
- Eastbound and westbound lanes of Route 460 open to traffic but work in the median will require left lane closures for extended periods of time.
Public outreach ►
A design public hearing was held for this project in April 2017 at Montvale Elementary School.
The primary purpose of the project is to enhance safety by realigning 1.4 miles of the eastbound lanes of Route 460 in Bedford County near Montvale to improve safety by eliminating existing “S” curves.
The curves are located about eight miles west of Bedford and approximately 2.3 miles east of Montvale. The S-curves have limited sight distance and have been the location of several severe crashes.
The project also includes modifying five existing crossovers, closing one existing crossover and adding one new crossover. To enhance safety, the crossover improvements will include restrictions for some left turn movements to and from Route 460 and enhancements to facilitate U-turn movements.
As of 2015, approximately 15,900 vehicles use this section of Route 460 each day. This is projected to increase to 18,000 by the year 2041.
The purpose of the project is to enhance safety by realigning 1.4 miles of the eastbound lanes of Route 460 to improve safety by eliminating existing “S” curves.