Recently Completed: King Street over I-395 Bridge Rehabilitation and Pedestrian Improvements in the City of Alexandria
Cost and schedule ►
Public outreach ►
Please note: The project was completed in December 2021.
The King Street over I-395 Bridge Rehabilitation and Pedestrian Improvements project is now complete in Alexandria! the new signalized♀️crossing at 30th St S! The bridge deck was also resurfaced to give drivers a smoother ride. More info: https://t.co/LWs2Gb4Tj7 pic.twitter.com/vdtWzwHNlB— VDOT Northern VA (@VaDOTNOVA) December 22, 2021
This project rehabilitated the King Street (Route 7) bridge over I-395. The bridge was originally built in 1970.
Bridge improvements included:
- Repairing and resurfacing the concrete deck
- Repairing piers, abutments and bearings
- Painting steel beams
- Adding safety fences to the parapet walls
The following pedestrian improvements were made along a half-mile of King Street:
- Widening the median sidewalk from four to eight feet between 30th Street South and Menokin Drive, and centering the sidewalk in the median
- Adding a Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon crossing at westbound King Street and 30th Street South
- Installing upgraded Accessible Pedestrian Signal crossings and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) curb ramp upgrades at the Park Center Drive intersection, as well as at eastbound King Street and Menokin Drive
The project also included repairing the King Street pavement adjacent to the bridge, replacing the chain link fence along eastbound King Street near Menokin Drive, and upgrading roadway lighting.
Within the project limits, King Street averages about 40,000 vehicles a day.
Preliminary Engineering - $2.2 million
Construction - $12 million
Total - $14.2 million
The project was financed with federal and state funding, including State of Good Repair funds used for bridges.
This project aimed to improve safety for drivers and pedestrians, enhance pedestrian mobility and extend the overall life of the bridge.
Donald Angerman, CCM
Yusaf Masud, P.E.
Other relevant links:
Project Completion News Release - Dec. 2021
Construction Start News Release - April 2020
Fairlington Village Association Meeting - November 2016
Traffic Technical Appendix - April 2014
Public Information Meeting - July 2015
Phase: Recently Completed
State ID: 0395-100-797, P101, B611
Federal ID: NHPP-5A01 (515), NHPP-5A01 (852)
Lat/Long: 38.834760, -77.097896