In Design: I-95 and Route 123 Interchange Improvements in Prince William County
Cost and schedule ►
This project will make improvements at the I-95 Exit 160 interchange at Route 123 (Gordon Boulevard). The project is based on a concept from the I-95 and Route 123 Interchange STARS (Strategically Targeted Affordable Roadway Solutions) Study, which is assessing potential safety and operational improvements for the interchange and follows up on the I-95 Corridor Improvement Plan aimed at improving travel along I-95 in Virginia.
This is VDOT’s first Progressive Design-Build project, involving the selected Design-Build team in the very early stages of design.
The anticipated improvements include:
- Replacing the northbound Route 123 loop ramp to southbound I-95 with a signalized left-turn to the southbound Route 123 ramp to southbound I-95
- Widening the southbound Route 123 ramp to southbound I-95 from one to two lanes
- Moving the Route 123 and I-95 Express Lanes ramp intersection slightly south
- Realigning the southbound I-95 ramp to northbound Route 123
- Adding a shared-use path along northbound Route 123 from Annapolis Way to Devil's Reach Road
- Repairing and replacing the deck of the southbound I-95 bridge over Occoquan Road
At the interchange, I-95 averages about 200,000 vehicles a day and Route 123 averages about 62,000. The northbound Route 123 loop ramp to southbound I-95 averages 2,500 vehicles a day, the southbound Route 123 ramp to southbound I-95 averages 13,000, and the southbound I-95 ramp to northbound Route 123 averages 12,000.
Preliminary Engineering - $7.2 million
Right of Way Acquisition and Utility Relocation - $1 million
Construction - $67.8 million
Total - $76 million
This project is financed with federal and state funding.
This project aims to improve traffic flow, safety and bicyclist/pedestrian accessibility and connectivity.
Begin Progressive Design-Build Procurement - April 2022
Award Progressive Design-Build Contract - September 2022
Begin Construction - 2025
Mark Gibney, P.E., PMP, DBIA
Angel Tao, P.E.
Major funding source: State
Phase: In Design
State ID: 0095-076-341, C501, P101, R201
Federal ID: NHPP-095-2 (551)
Lat/Long: 38.670445, -77.252957
Locality: Prince William