Coming Soon: I-66 Rosslyn Tunnel Rehabilitation in Arlington County
Cost and schedule ►
This project will rehabilitate and make improvements to the Rosslyn Tunnel that carries I-66 under North Nash Street, Fort Myer Drive, North Lynn Street and Gateway Park. The tunnel, nearly a fifth of a mile long, opened to traffic in 1983.
- Removing the existing tunnel ceiling to improve long-term maintenance
- Upgrading electrical systems
- Installing a new fireproofing system
- Repairing steel beams, abutment and pier concrete, and joints
- Cleaning and repairing bearings
- Replacing the tunnel lighting system
The tunnel averages 64,000 vehicles a day.
Preliminary Engineering - $2 million
Construction - $35.7 million
Total - $37.7 million
This project is financed with state funding.
This project aims to improve safety and extend the overall life of the tunnel.
Begin Preliminary Engineering - January 2021
Advertise for Construction - April 2022
Award Construction Contract - July 2022
Begin Construction - Early Fall 2022
Final Completion - Summer 2025