Sidewalk Improvement Study - Coeburn (Wise County)
Est Completion Date
Michael Baker International
Blake Ailor, VDOT Bristol Planning Office
What's Being Done?
In 2019-2020, the Virginia Department of Transportation developed a set of recommendations to improve pedestrian safety and accessibility within the Town of Coeburn. Coeburn is home to Coeburn Primary School, Coeburn Middle School and Eastside High School, and all are within a few blocks of each other. While some sidewalks and trails exist, there are gaps in the network that could be connected to enhance safety.
Click here to review the finalized study.
The items listed below identify information gained from the sidewalk study:
- Collect and review of GIS data and area plans (e.g. comprehensive plans)
- Document existing conditions in terms of available pedestrian features
- Collaborate with local stakeholders to understand pedestrian flows and priorities
- Define needs in terms of network gaps and safety
- Develop recommendations for small achievable projects tailored to fit VDOT funding programs. ADA compliance will be considered as recommendations are made.
- Produce technical memorandum that documents methodology and results of study
- Provide presentation material for meetings
- Conduct three site visits over the course of the study to include:
1) Study kick-off, inventory of existing conditions, stakeholder interviews
2) Study team / stakeholder meeting to review draft recommendations
3) Presentation of final recommendations to Town Council.