Work Zone Safety - Work Zones are a Sign to Slow Down
Work Zones are a Sign to Slow Down
There is nothing more crucial to VDOT than maintaining the safety of those who work and travel on Virginia roads.
As a crusader of work zone safety, VDOT continues its 20-plus year tradition of spreading awareness on the components of work zone safety.
The 2022 Work Zones are a Sign to Slow Down national campaign works to educate the public on the signs they see as they approach and navigate their way through a work zone on the roads. It also works to introduce drivers to the crews in the work zones and the people that are behind the safety equipment.
We urge drivers to slow down and be alert-- not just in the height of construction season-- but all year long.
Join us in observing National Work Zone Awareness Week:
- Monday, April 11: Work Zone Safety Training Day. Start a conversation about safety.
- Tuesday, April 12: NWZAW Kick-Off Event featuring the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel Expansion project.
- Wednesday, April 13: Go Orange Day. Wear orange and share your support of work zone safety by posting pictures on your social media accounts with #GoOrangeDayVA.
- Thursday, April 14: Social media storm. Help share the same work zone safety reminder as other DOTs across the country to amplify the message at 1 p.m. “When you approach a work zone, be alert while we work. REMEMBER: Work zones are a sign to slow down. Driving is the ONLY thing you should be doing behind the wheel.”
- Friday, April 15: Moment of silence at 10 a.m. to remember those who lost their lives in a work zone incident.
- Follow VDOT on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Show us your support by liking, sharing, and posting with the hashtag #NWZAW.
As the host transportation department for the 2022 National Work Zone Awareness Week kickoff event, VDOT will welcome guests on Tuesday, April 12, to one of the largest infrastructure projects in the country, the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel Expansion Project.
National Work Zone Awareness Week is sponsored by: