VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Jan. 17, 2022
Overnight Lane and Ramp Closures on I-495 North and I-66 East Tonight and Tomorrow Night, January 17-18, for Overhead Bridge Work at the I-66/I-495 Interchange
FAIRFAX – Lane closures and ramp closures on I-495 North and I-66 East will be implemented during the overnight hours tonight, Monday, January 17 and Tuesday, January 18, for bridge work at the I-66/I-495 Interchange as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Northbound I-495 will be reduced to one travel lane approaching I-66 during the overnight hours both nights. The ramps from I-66 East to I-495 North, I-495 North to I-66 West, and I-495 North to I-66 East will also be closed nightly. Detours will be posted.
Drivers traveling on I-66 and I-495 during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled should inclement conditions occur.
Monday, January 17, and Tuesday, January 18
I-495 North at I-66
- Three lanes will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Ramp from I-66 East to I-495 North
- The ramp will be closed from midnight to 4 a.m. nightly.
- Traffic will be detoured to I-495 South, exit to Route 50 (Arlington Boulevard) East, stay to the right to Fairview Park, take the left fork to Fairview Park North, bear left at the traffic signal, then stay to the right following signs to I-495 North.
- The ramp will reopen by 4 a.m.
Ramp from I-495 North to I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly.
- Traffic will be directed to continue north to Route 7 (Leesburg Pike) West, stay to the right to I-495 South, then exit to I-66 West.
- The ramp will reopen by 5 a.m.
Ramp from I-495 North to I-66 East
- The ramp will be closed from 11 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. nightly.
- Traffic will be directed to continue north to Route 7 East, travel about one mile, then follow signs to I-66 East.
- The ramp will reopen by 4:30 a.m.
The I-66/I-495 Interchange is being modified with several new ramps and connections as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Improvements at the interchange include adding access to and from the existing 495 Express Lanes and the new I-66 Express Lanes, as well as building new connections between express and general purpose lanes.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.