VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Jan. 17, 2022
Overnight Demolition Continues at old Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 This Week, January 18-20
FAIRFAX – Overnight demolition of the old Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 is planned to continue this week, Tuesday, January 18, through Thursday, January 20, with removal of the old bridge beams and bridge piers along I-66 East. The Gallows Road Bridge is being replaced as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes.
What’s ahead for this week:
- Beginning Tuesday, January 18, crews will remove the remaining bridge beams from the span adjacent to I-66 East during the overnight hours when multiple lanes can be closed on the interstate to safely accommodate this work. This work involves use of cranes and saw cutters.
- Following removal of the old bridge beams, crews will begin demolishing the two old bridge piers along I-66 East using jack hammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams.
- Construction of the new northern bridge abutment for the new Gallows Road South bridge over I-66 will also begin this week with pile driving during the daytime hours.
- All work is weather dependent and schedules may shift if inclement conditions occur.
- For updates on demolition progress visit outside.transform66.org/gallowsroad.
What Drivers Should Expect:
Tuesday, January 18, through Thursday, January 20
I-66 East from east of Cedar Lane to Gallows Road
- Three lanes will be closed nightly Tuesday through Thursday from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes during the overnight hours.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Demolition Progress to Date:
- During the week of January 10, crews completed demolition of the remaining concrete bridge deck of the old structure and removed the old beams over I-66 East.
The Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 is being reconstructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The bridge is being lengthened, widened, raised, and shifted to the east to accommodate the new Express Lanes and provide room for future improvements along Gallows Road.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.