VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Feb. 5, 2021
Two-Way Traffic Will Travel in Single Lane on I-66 West at Route 50 in Fairfax During Overnight Hours Feb. 7-11 for Bridge Beam Installation
Lane closures, traffic stoppages on Route 50 planned nightly
UPDATE (2/11/2021): This work has been rescheduled for Friday, February 12.
FAIRFAX – I-66 East and West approaching Route 50 in Fairfax will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction for about one mile during overnight hours next week as bridge beam installation continues at the I-66/Route 50 Interchange. Two-way traffic will run on I-66 West so that crews can safely install bridge beams over the eastbound lanes of I-66. The Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Route 50 East at I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane with traffic stoppages each night as well, and multiple ramps will be closed nightly at the interchange. Drivers traveling on I-66 and Route 50 East during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Sunday, February 7, through Thursday, February 11
I-66 East and West Between Monument Drive and Waples Mill Road
- Around 10 p.m. I-66 East traffic approaching Monument Drive will be narrowed to a single lane and directed to cross on to the I-66 West side of the roadway. Eastbound traffic will remain in this pattern until east of Route 50 where it will then cross back over to the I-66 East side of the roadway through a gap in the median barrier and resume normal travel.
- Around 10 p.m. I-66 West traffic approaching Waples Mill Road will be narrowed to a single right lane and remain on the right side of the interstate beyond Monument Drive. Westbound traffic will resume normal travel following the point where eastbound traffic crosses on to the westbound lanes.
- Between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. two-way traffic on I-66 West will be separated by traffic barrels and one closed travel lane. State police will be on-site to assist with traffic control and response.
- All lanes on I-66 East will reopen by 5 a.m., and on I-66 West by 5:30 a.m.
Ramp from Monument Drive to I-66 East/from I-66 West
- The ramp from Monument Drive to I-66 East/from I-66 West will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Ramp from I-66 East to Route 50 West
- The ramp from I-66 East to Route 50 West will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic will be detoured prior to the closure to Route 50 East, stay to the left and make a U-turn from the left-most turn lane at the Waples Mill Road traffic signal on to Route 50 West.
Route 50 East from West Ox Road to I-66
- Route 50 East will be reduced to one travel lane approaching I-66 from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes between 10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lanes access to and from the east and to construct a new shared-use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Construction and lane closure updates are available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.