VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Feb. 26, 2021
Two-Way Traffic Will Travel in Single Lane in Each Direction on I-66 West at Route 50 During Overnight Hours March 3-5 for Bridge Beam Installation
Lane closures, traffic stoppages on Route 50 planned nightly
UPDATE (3/1/2021): Beam installation has been delayed by rain. This work is now tentatively scheduled to begin Friday night, March 5, depending on weather and construction progress.
FAIRFAX – I-66 East and West approaching Route 50 in Fairfax will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction for about one mile during the overnight hours Wednesday, March 3, through Friday, March 5, as bridge beam installation continues at the I-66/Route 50 Interchange. Two-way traffic will run on the I-66 West side so that crews can safely install bridge beams over I-66 East. The Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Route 50 West at I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane with traffic stoppages each night as well, and multiple ramps will be closed nightly at the interchange. Drivers traveling on I-66 and Route 50 West during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Wednesday, March 3, through Friday, March 5
I-66 East and West Between Monument Drive and Waples Mill Road
- Around 10 p.m. (11 p.m. Friday) traffic on I-66 East approaching Monument Drive will be narrowed to a single lane and directed to cross over on to the I-66 West side of the roadway. Eastbound traffic will remain in this pattern until east of Route 50, where it will then cross back over to the I-66 East side of the roadway through a gap in the median barrier and resume normal travel.
- Around 10 p.m. (11 p.m. Friday) traffic on I-66 West approaching Waples Mill Road will be narrowed to a single right lane and remain on the right side of the interstate beyond Monument Drive. Westbound traffic will resume normal travel following the point where eastbound traffic crosses on to the westbound lanes.
- Between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. (Friday night between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.) two-way traffic on I-66 West will be separated by traffic barrels and one closed travel lane. State police will be on-site to assist with traffic control and response.
- All lanes on I-66 East will reopen by 5 a.m., and on I-66 West by 5:30 a.m. (by 6 a.m. Saturday)
Ramp from Monument Drive to I-66 East/from I-66 West
- The ramp from Monument Drive to I-66 East/from I-66 West will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. (Friday night from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.)
Ramp from I-66 East to Route 50 West
- The ramp from I-66 East to Route 50 West will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. (Friday night from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.)
- Traffic will be detoured prior to the closure to Route 50 East, stay to the left and make a U-turn from the left-most turn left lane at the Waples Mill Road traffic signal on to Route 50 West.
Route 50 West from Waples Mill Road to I-66
- Route 50 West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching I-66 on Wednesday and Thursday nights from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m., and Friday night from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes on Wednesday and Thursday between 10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m., and between 11 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. Friday night.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lanes access to and from the east and to construct a new shared-use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.