VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
March 4, 2021
Overnight Lane Closures and Traffic Stoppages on I-66 in Gainesville Next Week, March 8-10, for Overhead Bridge Beam Installation at University Boulevard
University Boulevard over I-66 reduced to two lanes Sunday, March 7, through Friday, March 12
UPDATE (3/10): Work listed for the nights of March 8-9 is now planned for March 10-11. Work listed for the night of March 10 is now planned for March 12. The work zone on University Boulevard is anticipated to be clear by mid-day Saturday, March 13.
FAIRFAX – Overnight lane closures and traffic stoppages of up to 30 minutes on I-66 East and West approaching University Boulevard in Gainesville are scheduled to occur Monday, March 8, through Wednesday, March 10, for crews to install overhead bridge beams on the University Boulevard Bridge over I-66. The work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
University Boulevard over I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction from the evening of Sunday, March 7, through mid-day on Friday, March 12. Two-way traffic will run on the southbound side of University Boulevard.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area and should consider using alternate routes.
Monday, March 8, and Tuesday, March 9
I-66 East from Route 29 (Lee Highway) Gainesville to University Boulevard
- I-66 East will be reduced to one travel lane approaching University Boulevard from 8 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. nightly
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 30 minutes between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
University Boulevard at I-66
- From 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly, northbound University Boulevard over I-66 will be closed with alternating two-way traffic flagged in a single lane on the southbound side of University Boulevard.
Wednesday, March 10
I-66 West from Route 234 (Prince William Parkway) to University Boulevard
- I-66 West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching University Boulevard from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 30 minutes between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- All lanes reopen by 6 a.m.
University Boulevard at I-66
- From 6 p.m. to 5 a.m., northbound University Boulevard over I-66 will be closed with alternating two-way traffic flagged in a single lane on the southbound side of University Boulevard.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The University Boulevard Bridge over I-66 is being widened to accommodate new I-66 Express Lanes access to and from the east near the new University Boulevard Park and Ride Lot. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes, which span from I-495 to Route 29 in Gainesville, are expected to open in December 2022.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.