VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Jan. 22, 2021
New, Temporary Ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street North and South Opens on or about Sunday, Jan. 31
Daytime closure of current ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street North planned for January 30-31 for paving work
UPDATE (1/29/21): Due to inclement weather forecasted to begin this weekend, opening of the modified ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street is being delayed until next weekend. The closure and detour of the ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street North previously announced for this weekend has been postponed.
FAIRFAX – Drivers exiting I-66 West to Nutley Street North and South will use a new, temporary ramp beginning on or about Sunday, January 31. Drivers heading to southbound Nutley Street will use a temporary traffic signal to turn left onto Nutley Street. These changes are needed for reconstruction of the Nutley Street Interchange as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
The current ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street North will be closed between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. on January 30 and 31 for paving work necessary to implement the change.
Starting on or about the afternoon of Sunday, January 31, drivers should expect the following new traffic pattern, weather permitting:
New Ramps for I-66 West to Nutley Street North and South
- The current ramp from I-66 West to northbound Nutley Street will close.
- Drivers will access northbound Nutley Street using a new ramp to Nutley Street North and South located slightly west of the current exit, then stay to the right to northbound Nutley Street.
- Drivers will access southbound Nutley Street using the new ramp from I-66 West, stay to the left, then turn left at a temporary traffic signal to southbound Nutley Street.
Ramp closure and detour details to implement the traffic pattern change include:
Saturday, January 30, and Sunday, January 31
Ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street
- The ramp will be closed between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. daily for paving operations.
- Drivers will be detoured farther west on I-66 to the exit for Vienna/Fairfax/GMU Metrorail, stay to the right on to Country Creek Road and continue on to Virginia Center Boulevard, then turn left at the traffic signal on to Nutley Street North.
- Drivers headed to southbound Nutley Street will follow the same detour, but turn right from Virginia Center Boulevard on to Nutley Street South.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
This temporary traffic pattern is necessary to allow construction of the new Nutley Street Interchange while keeping Nutley Street open to traffic and will remain in place for approximately 18 months. When construction is complete, the interchange will feature two roundabouts, which will provide safer, more efficient travel for vehicles entering and exiting I-66 and improve safety for vehicles and pedestrians traveling on Nutley Street.
Drivers should always use caution and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs in construction work zones.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.