VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Nov. 5, 2021
Demolition Activity on Old Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 Continues This Weekend, November 5-6, and Next Week, November 7-13
Overnight lane closures planned on I-66 East approaching Gallows Road November 5-7
FAIRFAX – Pre-demolition activities on the old Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 will continue during the overnight hours this weekend, Friday, November 5, through Sunday, November 7, with multi-lane closures on I-66 East. Demolition of the portion of the bridge over the Dunn Loring Metrorail Station is planned to begin during the daytime hours on Monday, November 8. The Gallows Road Bridge is being replaced as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
Up-to-date information and lane closures related to this work can be found at the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project’s Gallows Road page.
Upcoming Demolition Activity for this Weekend and the Week of November 7:
- Pre-demolition activities will continue during the weekend of November 5-7 with overnight work that includes removal of railing, fencing, and bridge parapets over I-66 East.
- Beginning during the daytime hours (typically 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.) on Monday, November 8, crews will start demolition of the old bridge deck with saw cutting of the section over the Metrorail Orange Line and Dunn Loring Metrorail Station.
- Following demolition of the concrete deck, the old bridge beams over the WMATA facilities will be removed during the overnight hours.
- Demolition of the bridge span over the WMATA facilities is anticipated to take approximately two weeks, weather depending.
- Portions of the bridge directly over I-66 will need to be demolished during the overnight hours when multiple lanes can be closed on I-66 to safely accommodate this work.
- Demolition activities will occur during daytime hours when feasible to minimize impacts to the nearby communities.
- For updates on demolition progress visit transform66.org/gallowsroad.
What Drivers Should Expect:
Friday, November 5, through Sunday, November 7
I-66 East from Cedar Lane to Gallows Road
- Three lanes will be closed Friday and Saturday nights from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m., and Sunday night from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes during overnight hours.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. (9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday).
All work is weather dependent, and schedules may shift if inclement conditions occur.
Drivers should be alert for changing traffic patterns on Gallows Road near I-66 as construction continues through 2022. Drivers are reminded to slow down and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs at all times.
The Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 is being reconstructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The bridge is being lengthened, widened, raised, and shifted to the east to accommodate the new Express Lanes and provide room for future improvements along Gallows Road.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.