VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Nov. 12, 2021
Demolition Activity on Old Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 Continues During Daytime Hours Tomorrow, November 13, and Next Week, November 15-20
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the portion of the old Gallows Road Bridge over the Dunn Loring Metrorail Station will continue during the daytime hours tomorrow, Saturday, November 13, and next week, November 15-20. Demolition of this portion of the bridge can be done safely without any impacts to traffic on I-66. The Gallows Road Bridge is being replaced as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Up-to-date information and lane closures related to this work can be found at the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project’s Gallows Road page.
Demolition Progress to Date:
- Crews have completed pre-demolition activities, which included removing railing, fencing, and bridge parapets.
- Demolition of the old deck has begun with saw cutting of the section over the Metrorail Orange Line and Dunn Loring Metrorail Station.
What’s ahead for this Weekend and the Week of November 15:
- Crews will continue demolition of the old bridge deck with saw cutting and slab removal of the concrete bridge deck over the Metrorail Orange Line and Dunn Loring Metrorail Station during the daytime hours (typically 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.).
- Following demolition of the concrete deck, the old bridge beams over the WMATA facilities will be removed during the overnight hours.
- Demolition of the bridge span over the WMATA facilities is anticipated to take approximately two weeks, depending upon weather.
- Portions of the bridge directly over I-66 will need to be demolished during the overnight hours, when multiple lanes can be closed on I-66 to safely accommodate this work.
- Demolition activities will occur during the daytime hours when feasible to minimize impacts to the nearby communities.
- For updates on demolition progress visit transform66.org/gallowsroad.
All work is weather dependent, and schedules may shift if inclement conditions occur.
Drivers should be alert for changing traffic patterns on Gallows Road near I-66 as construction continues through 2022. Drivers are reminded to slow down and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs at all times.
The Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 is being reconstructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The bridge is being lengthened, widened, raised, and shifted to the east to accommodate the new Express Lanes and provide room for future improvements along Gallows Road
Crews are using saws to cut and remove sections of the old Gallows Road Bridge deck over the Dunn Loring Metro Station.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.