VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Sept. 15, 2020
Route 28 in Centreville Reduced to One Lane in Each Direction During Overnight Hours Wednesday, Sept. 16, for Bridge Beam Installation at Braddock Road/Walney Road Overpass
FAIRFAX – Route 28 in Centreville will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction for about one mile during overnight hours Wednesday, September 16, to accommodate continued installation of beams for the new Braddock Road/Walney Road Bridge over Route 28. Two-way traffic will run on Route 28 South so that crews can safely install bridge beams over the northbound lanes of Route 28. The bridge is being constructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Other closures necessary during this time include: the ramp from I-66 East to Route 28 North, the ramp from I-66 West to Route 28 North, the ramp from Route 28 South to I-66 East, and Braddock Road East near Route 28. Detours will be posted. Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area.
Wednesday, September 16: 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Route 28 North and South Between E.C. Lawrence Park Athletic Fields and Route 29 (Lee Highway)
- Around 9 p.m.: The left-most lanes of Route 28 South and right-most lanes of Route 28 North will close between E.C. Lawrence Park Athletic Fields and Route 29.
- Around 10 p.m.: Route 28 North traffic approaching I-66 will be narrowed to a single lane on the left. Traffic will cross through a gap in the median barrier to continue traveling north in the southbound lanes of Route 28, and will remain in this pattern until north of Braddock Road. Northbound traffic will then cross back over to the Route 28 North side of the roadway and resume normal travel.
- Around 10 p.m.: Route 28 South traffic approaching Braddock Road will be narrowed to a single lane on the right and remain in this pattern past I-66. Southbound traffic will resume normal travel following the point where northbound traffic crosses over to Route 28 South.
- Between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.: Two-way traffic on Route 28 South will be separated by traffic barrels and one closed travel lane. State police will be on-site to assist with traffic control.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Ramp from I-66 West to Route 28 North
- The ramp will be closed.
- Traffic will be detoured to Route 28 South, travel to Route 29 North, then stay to the right for Route 28 North.
Ramp from I-66 East to Route 28 North
- The ramp will be closed.
- Traffic will be detoured farther east to Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) North, stay to the right for I-66 West, then join the detour for I-66 West to Route 28 North (Route 28 South, Route 29 North, stay to the right for Route 28 North).
Ramp from Route 28 South to I-66 East
- The ramp and two left turn lanes from Route 28 South to I-66 East will be closed.
- Traffic will be detoured farther south to Route 29 North, stay right for Route 28 North, then follow signs to I-66 East.
Braddock Road East between Newton Patent Drive and Route 28
- Eastbound Braddock Road will be closed between Newton Patent Drive and Route 28.
- Traffic will be directed to Westfields Boulevard to access Route 28 South.
- Traffic will be permitted to turn right from Route 28 South to Braddock Road West.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Braddock Road and Walney Road are being connected via a new overpass with direct ramp access to Route 28 and the future I-66 Express Lanes and general purpose lanes as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The project includes removal of the traffic signals on Route 28 between Westfields Boulevard and Route 29 by the end of 2020.
Weekly updates are available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.