VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Dec. 17, 2020
Overnight Lane Closures and Traffic Stoppages on I-66 East and West Extended Through Dec. 19 for Work on New Gallows Road Bridge
Gallows Road over I-66 Reduced to Two Lanes During Overnight Hours
FAIRFAX – Overnight lane closures on I-66 East and West approaching Gallows Road have been extended through Saturday, December 19, for overhead utility work on the new Gallows Road Bridge over I-66. Work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Additionally, Gallows Road over I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction nightly through Saturday, December 19. Two-way traffic will run on Gallows Road South.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area and are encouraged to use alternate routes.
Monday, December 14, through Saturday, December 19
I-66 East and West from Cedar Lane to Route 7
- I-66 East and West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching Gallows Road during overnight hours, Monday, December 14, through Thursday, December 17, from 9:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly, and Friday, December 18, and Saturday, December 19, from 9:30 p.m. to 9 a.m. nightly.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes between midnight and 4 a.m. on weekdays (between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights).
- All lanes reopen by 5 a.m. on weekdays (by 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday).
Ramp from 495 North Express Lanes North to I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed during overnight hours, Monday, December 14, through Saturday, December 19, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly.
- Traffic will be detoured to I-66 East, take the exit for Route 7, stay to the left and turn left at the traffic signal, then follow signs to I-66 West.
Gallows Road over I-66
- Gallows Road over I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction during overnight hours Monday, December 14, through Thursday, December 17, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly, and Friday, December 18, and Saturday, December 19, from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. nightly. Two-way traffic will run on Gallows Road South during this period.
- All lanes reopen by 5 a.m. weekdays (by 8 a.m. Friday night/Saturday morning and Saturday night/Sunday morning).
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Gallows Road over I-66 is being reconstructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The bridge is being lengthened, widened, raised, and shifted to the east to accommodate the new Express Lanes and provide room for future improvements along Gallows Road.
Message boards on Gallows Road and I-66 will provide advance notice of lane closures and traffic stoppages. Weekly updates will be available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA. To receive updates automatically by email, sign up here.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.