VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
May 21, 2020
Demolition of Cedar Lane Bridge over I-66 Continues
UPDATE (5/26): Overnight Demolition Resuming as early as May 27; Visit Outside.Transform66.org/CedarLane for Latest Updates
FAIRFAX – Preparation work for demolition of Cedar Lane bridge spans over I-66 will continue during overnight hours the remainder of this week. Demolition activity is scheduled to pause for several days (May 24-27), then resume next Thursday night, May 28. Overnight lane closures will be required on I-66 West to safely conduct the work over the roadway. The bridge is being demolished and rebuilt to accommodate the widening of I-66 as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
What’s Ahead this Weekend and the Week of May 24:
- Work to complete demolition of the northern bridge span and prepare the three remaining bridge spans for demolition will continue tonight, May 21, through Saturday night, May 23.
- No demolition work is planned Sunday, May 24, through Wednesday, May 27.
- Nighttime demolition will resume Thursday night, May 28, on the bridge span over I-66 West, and will continue through the weekend during daytime and overnight hours. Crews will use jackhammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams to demolish concrete initially, and then will use cranes to remove the old bridge beams.
What I-66 Drivers Should Expect:
- Tonight, Thursday, May 21, between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., I-66 West will be reduced to one lane near Cedar Lane in Vienna as crews continue to prepare the three remaining bridge spans for demolition.
- No additional lane closures are planned this weekend and early next week (May 22-27) on I-66 near Cedar Lane in Vienna.
- Lane closures on I-66 will resume to accommodate nighttime demolition beginning May 28.
Construction Progress Since May 15:
- Cedar Lane closed between Cottage Street and Hilltop Road on Friday night, May 15.
- Bridge demolition began on Saturday, May 16, and the first of four spans was removed.
- Demolition of the northern abutment is nearly complete.
The future Cedar Lane Bridge is scheduled to open in November 2020. The new bridge will consist of two 12-foot lanes (one lane in each direction). A shared-use path for pedestrians and bicyclists will be built on the east side of the bridge, as well as a sidewalk on the west side of the bridge. The bridge will also have seven-foot-tall fencing on both sides.
During the Cedar Lane Bridge closure, a posted detour routes drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians to Gallows Road to cross I-66 using either Cottage Street (north side of I-66) or Hilltop Road and Lee Highway (south side of I-66).
Additionally, the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project is partnering with Fairfax County to enhance transit services in the vicinity of the bridge. Fairfax Connector Routes 462 and 467 are offering increased frequency and expanded hours during the bridge closure to assist affected travelers. Visit www.FairfaxConnector.com for additional information.
Construction schedules are subject to change based on weather and construction progress.
Visit outside.transform66.org/CedarLane for construction updates and more information on the planned closure and reconstruction of Cedar Lane bridge.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @vadotnova.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.