STEM Outreach At VDOT
Inspiring The Next Generation Of VDOT Employees
There is more to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) than filling potholes and moving snow. Every aspect of VDOT encompasses STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields.
We invite students and teachers to explore the variety of careers at VDOT through transportation-themed lessons and hands-on activities.
STEM Loaner Kits
VDOT has two STEM kits available for educators to borrow to facilitate the Technical Drawing lesson and Sensors lesson below.
Kits contain all of the resources/supplies needed to do the lesson with students. Reserve a kit for your classroom by emailing Angela Parsley, STEM Coordinator: 804-904-2207 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lessons and Resources
- VDOT- STEM in Transportation: Technical Drawing Lesson / PowerPoint
- VDOT- STEM in Transportation: Transportation Sensors Lesson / PowerPoint / Kahoot™ activity
- VDOT – STEM in Transportation: Bridges Lesson / PowerPoint Elementary / PowerPoint Middle and High School / Key
- Intelligent Transportation Lessons – NanoSonic
- VDOT careers flier and video
- U.S Department of Transportation - Resources for teachers and mentors
- More about Civil Engineering? https://www.
bestcolleges.com/careers/ science-and-engineering/civil- engineering/
Bridge Building Competition
- In coordination with Virginia TSA for 2021-2022
- Students design, build, and present their bridges.
- Pre-registration is required. Visit the Virginia TSA website to sign up a team.
- Open to middle and high school- aged students in Virginia.
Education and Training
- Civil engineering
- Old Dominion University
- George Mason University
- Virginia Tech
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Military Institute
Technology in Transportation
- Physics Central - High-tech road science: Where nano meets pavement
- Business Insider - New asphalt closes road cracks using nanoparticles